Sunday, September 6, 2015

1961 - THE HAPPY THIEVES, the unhappy audience.

This thing seemed like it was constantly showing up on the 10:30 late show when I was growing up.  I remember it was supposed to be some kind of heist thriller comedy story but all I really remember was it involved carrying paintings around a museum.  At the time I thought the film was pretty lame and guess what, the film is still pretty lame.

Rita Hayworth and Rex Harrison are the stars of this so called "caper" film.  But only Rex Harrison as one of those dashing thief types is actually any good.  In fact I think it's safe to say that Harrison drags this film along with a lot of charm and a very smooth performance.


The Happy Thieves is really not worth anyone's time.

88 minutes, written by John Gay.

No comments: