Sunday, November 14, 2021

2017 - VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS, a large scale science fiction film

A very expensive science fiction film from the writer/director Luc Besson.  The film did not really find favor with the critcs and audiences stayed away basically bankrupting Besson's production company.


I don't really understand why the film flopped.  It seems better to me that the recent Star Wars films and the action scenes and special effects are very good.  I think the problem may have been in the casting with the two leads Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne who don't seem to have any type of chemistry between them, their love scenes are very stilted.

 

The film certainly has an eccentric cast, Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, the voice of John Goodman and Herbie Hancock.  

 

I enjoyed the film, I liked the world building, enjoyed the story line and was impressed with the visuals.

Running time, 137 minutes.

No comments: