Saturday, March 20, 2021

1968 - THE LOVE BUG, typical live action Disney

Amazingly this was the 2nd highest box office money maker of 1969.  I can remember going to the film and thinking it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.  I wasn't alone the audience surrounding me had a good time as well.

However, time has not been particularly kind to this film.  Viewed recently the film now seems rather slow moving and most of the slapstick humor doesn't show up until the last 30 minutes of the film.

 

The film has what I would call the typical Disney cast.  What's a live action Disney film without Dean Jones?  The rest of the cast is what I would almost call the Disney stock company, Buddy Hackett, Michelle Lee, Joe Flynn, and Mr Banks himself David Tomlinson. The Disney Company kept a lot of these people receiving  paychecks.

The film was directed by Disney's best in house director Robert Stevenson.  Bill Walsh and Don DaGradi a couple of Disney veterans wrote the screenplay.  The bouncy music score was by yet another Disney regular George Burns.

The film runs kind of slow at 108 minutes.  A real period piece.

No comments: