Thursday, June 11, 2009

Original THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 viewed before remake is released

Not spending much time on this one since comparison reviews of the old and new versions are everywhere. My son the other night was bothering me about seeing the remake of Pelham 123. I told him to watch the original version instead. I mentioned it about 2 more times and realized I was talking to the proverbial brick wall. Crawling away licking my wounds, I went for a walk with my wife bemoaning the fact that no one seems interested in watching quality films anymore when they can be entertained by the usual substandard garbage that passes for entertainment blah blah blah and etc. 
 
 
 
Much to my surprise when I returned from the walk, I found him watching it. This was my third time viewing this film and it will probably be my last. My impressions this time are: 
 
 
The original movie overall was still entertaining but maybe it's a bit overrated.
  • Walter Matthau is great, but he doesn't get all the funny lines, a lot of the extras and background actors provide the humor, that was a clever idea.
  • Gotta love that on location filming.
  • Robert Shaw always made a good bad guy, hard to believe he started out as an acclaimed playwright.
  • Matthau actually looks like a middle aged cop, the whole film seemed to be cast very carefully.
  • Peter Stone wrote the screenplay, he was a very good writer.
 
Running time 104 minutes.

No comments: